The Black Archives is a unique historical archive for inspiring conversations, activities and literature from Black and other perspectives that are often overlooked elsewhere.
Exhibition: Black & Revolutionary
The Story of Hermina & Otto Huiswoud
Black and Revolutionary: The story of Hermina and Otto Huiswoud
From November 25th 2017 to February 25th 2018 , the exhibition ‘Black and Revolutionary: the story of Hermina and Otto Huiswoud’ will be open in the building of Vereniging Ons Suriname (‘Our Suriname’) in Amsterdam. In The Black Archives people from New Urban Collective uncovered the story of two black revolutionaries: a hidden history of an adventurous struggle against colonialism, racism and economic inequality.
- Dates? November 25th 2017 - February 25th 2018
- Opening times: Friday to Sunday from 12PM to 6 PM and on appointment
- Entrance fee: €5,- (Group discount possible)
- Address: Vereniging Ons Suriname / The Black Archives, Zeeburgerdijk 19b, 1093SK
Find our booktitles under 'archives'
The Black Archives organizes monthly activities around themes from the archives with the aim to share knowledge and information from the books collections and other material. Discover below the upcoming activities at The Black Archives!
- 1 July: The Black Archives x Keti Koti: launch crowdfunding campagne @ Keti Koti festival
- 8 July: presentatie bij Afroeuropeans: Black Cultures and Identities in Europe, University of Tampere, Finland.
- 13 July: Movie screening: "I Am Not Your Negro" i.s.m. SpringHouse
- 17 July: boekpresentatie "Joyful Ondernemen" met Sentini Grunberg en panel met ondernemers
- 23 July: The Black Archives Books & BBQ festival met o.a. Anousha Nzume, documentaires Soso Lobi, Winnie (Mandela), BBQ & Chill, Spoken Word en DJ!
The Black Archives on Tour
Black Intellectual Gathering with dr. Kehinde Andrews on the Black Studies Movement in the UK
This talk will discuss the importance of developing a critical Black Studies and the tensions of housing the degree and research in the university space. Black Studies is essential, but can it flourish in the institutionally racist space of the university? The talk will also consider the prospects for Black Studies emerging across Europe.
Screening + Panel "I Am Not Your Negro" by James Baldwin - June 2nd
On Friday the 2nd of June 2017, New Urban Collective, Humanity in Action, NinSee and “Vereniging Ons Suriname” will organize a screening and panel discuss of the new documentary “I Am Not Your Negro” about James Baldwin and the Civil Rights Movement.
The Black Archives
Vrijdag - Zaterdag: 12:00 uur tot 18:00 uur., op afspraak.
Friday and Saturday from 12 pm till 6 pm, on appointment.
Tentoonstelling Zwart & Revolutionair 25 nov t/m 25 febr 2018:
Vrijdag - Zondag: 12:00 uur tot 18:00 uur
Exposition Black and Revolutionary 25 Nov till 25 Feb 2018:
Friday till Sunday from 12 pm till 6 pm